Sunday, May 20, 2018

Wood Anemone


I walk the trail in my backwoods more days than not.  I have been walking it on and off for almost two decades.  I feel as though I know every nook and cranny.  I feel as though I have seen everything it has to offer.

Then, coming around a small bend.  At the base of a tree I have past hundreds of times.  Something new...

A cluster of Wood Anemone (Anemone quinquefolia) or Wood Windflower has bloomed.

Has it bloomed there before and I just missed it?  Has it bloomed in other parts of the backwoods and I just didn't notice?

I make another loop around the trail - venturing off on little side trips - to see if I can find more of it.  All I can find is its cousin, Canadian Anemone or Canada Windflower.  A flower that I have seen every spring for as long as I can remember.

Why the new arrival?  Has something changed that has brought it into these woods.