Monday, June 5, 2017

Common Yellowthroat


Once again the rain is falling.  I am moping around the back yard and woods looking for something interesting to photograph.  Other than raindrops on green foliage, not much is catching my eye.

Near the wet corner of the yard where the willows have taken over, there is a sudden commotion.  I have stepped across the boundary of the territory claimed by a male Common Yellowthoat (Geothlypis tricha).

The Yellowthroat zips back and forth between the willows and a plum tree in the orchard, passing within a few feet of me each time.  Its constant chipping and chirping lets me know that I have intruded just past a point of comfort.

Finally, either tiring or believing that I am not a threat, it settles on a wire just long enough for both of us to gain our composure.