Saturday, December 15, 2018

American Mink


There was quite the commotion brewing on the front lawn.  An American Mink (Neovison vison) was taking on a full grown Cottontail Rabbit.  As I arrived at the front door, the mink was wrapping itself around the rabbit.  The rabbit was bucking and squirming to get free.  Screams, squeals and hisses came from both sides.  The battle was short and the mink, of course, prevailed.

The mink dragged the rabbit to the woodpile, becoming somewhat frustrated when its large prey would not fit into the tiny crevice it had chosen.  The rear legs of the rabbit stuck out into the snow.  I grabbed them and pulled the carcass away from the wood pile.

The mink popped out wondering what had happened to its dinner.  It looked at me with some disdain as I was certainly interrupting its busy schedule.  It scurried back and forth, darting and dashing about.  Disappearing, only to reappear in some other corner of the woodpile.

When it decided that I might make an admirable meal and scampered towards me, I decided that it was time to head back to the safety of the house.  When I checked later, the cottontail was gone -- taken to a mink dinning room that was serving a tasty midwinter treat.