Monday, June 18, 2018

Common Snapping Turtle



It is the time of the year when the Common Snapping Turtles (Chelydra serpentina) are on the move -- either to and from nesting areas or to and from new feeding grounds.

Two emotions come to my mind when I find a snapping turtle.  The first is respect.  The second is sadness.

My sense of respect comes from wondering just how old a turtle might be.  This one, being about two feet long from the front to back of its shell could be close to my age.

What has it experienced in its lifetime?  What changes has it seen in the landscape?  What disruptions have we created in its life?

My sense of sadness comes from the negative feelings many people have about snapping turtles -- most based on deep seated myths and mistruths.

They are usually docile when in water, and for the most part avoid troublesome interactions.  On land, they are at a disadvantage and usually only "snap" or "claw" in self-defense.

Upon encountering a snapping turtle, I usually take a few minutes to peacefully gaze upon it -- expecting it to impart some wisdom of the ages.  Then, as safely as possible, I try to assist it on its journey.

Like we humans, snapping turtles can be a little crotchety when rushed.  But with a little respect, patience and understanding, both of us can be led to the other side of the road...